Generating a Certificate Signing Request (CSR) using SonicWALL SSL Offloader
Step 1: Install OpenSSL
In order to be able to generate a CSR, you will need to have OpenSSL installed on your computer.
Step 2: Create your Certificate Signing Request
To generate a key pair consisting of Private Key and Certificate Signing Request (CSR) use the following command:
openssl req -new -des3 -keyout key.pem -out req.pem
You will now be asked to enter the following data for your CSR:
- Country Name: Enter the two-letter country code for your country.
- State or Province Name: Enter the name of the State or Province in which your organization operates. Do not abbreviate.
- Locality Name: Enter the name of your city, town, or other locality.
- Organization Name: Enter the name of your organization.
- Organizational Unit: Enter the name of your division, department, or other operational unit of your organization.
- Common Name: Enter the domain name that you want to use your SSL certificate with.
- E-mail address: Enter your e-mail address.
- Challenge Password: Enter a password with at least 6 characters. Do not forget the password, you will need it to install the certificate.
- Optional Company Name: Enter '.' to leave the field blank.
You will now have created two files, the Private Key file named key.pem and Certificate Signing Request (CSR) file named req.pem
When asked to "Copy & Paste" your CSR into the CSR field during the order process, open the req.pem file with a text editor and copy and paste the content into the CSR field on the order form.